Monday, September 14, 2015

An Introvert's Guide to Evangelization

No man is an island, we can be found.  No man is an island, let your guard down
You don't have to fight me, I am for you.  We're not meant to live this life alone

     Honestly, this song from Tenth Avenue North could be an anthem for my college years.  Call me crazy, or maybe you can identify with me, but I've always been kind of a loner in my world (typical homeschooler.  Just kidding, just kidding).  I have always preferred small groups of friends to large crowds, and good old heart-to-heart conversations in comparison to small talk.  So getting out of my comfort zone, off of my 'island,' has always been a realistic struggle of mine, especially in my college career.

hiding animated GIF
Freshman year, at the sight of someone new

  Being introverted doesn't mean that I hate people, nor I don't come outside my room or that I spend inhumane amounts of time in the library buried in books by myself (ok, except the last one...that one's true.)  But regardless!  My introverted qualities are something that I really like about myself - and have no problem identifying as a reality.

     Sometimes it seems as if the world views introversion as a problem to be solved.  Articles float around my Facebook feed, informing me of the '7 Steps to Overcoming Your Introverted Habits' or 'How You Can Be More Outgoing...Today!'  Call me crazy, but I don't think being introverted is something to solve, or an issue to fix.

      I actually think that being an introvert has some awesome benefits (I'm biased) and allows for some incredible evangelizing opportunities.  So here are my quick thoughts for those all who be Christ's hands and feet to the world, but especially as an introverted individual.


Recognize that introverts make pretty darn good listeners.
 

jennifer lopez animated GIF

There is something to be said about being the listening friend.  These are the kinds of friends to have in your life because they set aside what they are doing, or even what they would like to discuss, and engage in some good old fashioned listening.  Willing the good of the other (and putting your needs on the back burner) to be there for support and a listening ear is something that some introverts are great at.

There have been many times in my life when a good friend has simply been there and listened - and even if they never say a thing, their presence has changed my perspective.  Not a listening just so you know what to say next, but a genuine interest in another's good.  A friend who can help you channel your inner Ed Sheeran and allow you to think out loud (see what I did there) is sometimes the role of an introverted friend.

One-on-one conversations are the heart of being Christ to others - enjoy the jump into the deep end and have great heart-to-hearts.  

If there is anything that is a sign of an introvert, it is the general dislike of small talk.  Sure, the weather is great.  Yep, I hear that the tomatoes are really coming up good this time of year.  But the way that introverts connect is through deeper conversation.



Fail Jump animated GIF
We live in a shallow world where personal measures of worth are found in Facebook status likes and Instagram likes.  In a world that lives on the surface, introverts have the ability to go deep with their conversations and connect with people on a soul basis.  Don't be ashamed of wanting to know someone on a deeper level.  Or ask questions that could spark some great conversation.

Don't be afraid of some solitary recharging time.

                         amy adams animated GIF


Yep, it's Friday night. But that doesn't mean that you have to follow the crowd and hit the town.  If you are introverted, you recharge when you are alone, or with small groups.  And that is perfectly fine.  So go ahead.  Pour yourself a glass of wine and sit down and read the book you've been dying to start.  Pack up your journal and go spend some one-on-one time with Christ in adoration.  Don't feel guilty for needing to be alone sometimes.

Whether you are an introvert with a capital 'I' or are somewhere in the middle, know that your personality is you - and it should never hinder you from becoming the best version of yourself.

"If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?  But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be.  If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body."  1 Corinthians 12:17-20

smile animated GIF

No comments:

Post a Comment